Instead, be subtle. Have a friend sit quietly in the same room as the dog and randomly drop treats onto the floor. No eye contact or communication; just treats. Over time, this will get your shy dog to associate that person with something good.
Table of Contents
How do I help my shy puppy?
When a timid dog hides, barks defensively, whines, screams or snaps, DO NOT pet or pick up your dog. These actions flagrantly reward the dog for fearful behavior. It is best to just completely ignore your dog when he acts fearful. Let him learn by his own experience that there is nothing to be afraid of.
Why is my puppy so shy?
There can be many reasons why a dog is shy. Some dogs didn’t have enough positive socialization when young while other dogs may have had too many bad experiences. Many shy dogs are simply born cautious and reserved.
Do shy puppies stay shy?
The Shy Puppy Myth. Myth: A 6 week old puppy who is showing signs of shyness will outgrow that shyness as he gets older. Fact: Probably not. Contrary to popular opinion, it is not normal for a puppy to be shy at 6-8 weeks of age.
How can I make my shy dog more confident?
Dogs learn from positive association. The best way to help a shy or fearful dog gain confidence is to expose them to what frightens them at a low intensity. Pair this exposure with something positive, like a tasty treat.
How do you walk a scared puppy?
Choose a route that avoids their triggers as much as possible, then walk the same route every time. Keep walks brief at first. Until your dog feels more comfortable, don’t overstress him. Treats are a great distraction, so buy some small treats for positive reinforcement.
How do I socialize my shy puppy?
How to Socialize a Scared Puppy
- Start with a low-stress situation. It’s not a good idea to take your scared puppy to the dog park and plop him down in the grass with dozens of barking, playing dogs. …
- Start inviting more people and dogs over. …
- Socialize your puppy with children. …
- Have your puppy meet other species.
How do I build my puppy’s confidence?
To help build confidence, introduce your puppy to a variety of dog-friendly adults and children who greet the puppy in a calm manner and have them give treats. This will help build the association that meeting people equals a reward.
What is the fear period in puppies?
There are two major fear periods in a puppy’s socialization. One is at 8-11 weeks and the other is 6-14 months. These fear periods are evolutionarily programmed and are protective for dogs in the wild. Even though dogs live as pets now, these genetically determined behavioral patterns are still present.
How do you get a scared dog to trust you?
- Stay calm. It can be tempting to greet a dog with excited energy, but avoid the temptation. …
- Respect their space. Practice “no touch, no talk, no eye contact.” If you’re asking a stranger whether you can greet their dog, talk to the human and ignore the animal. …
- Get on their level. …
- Let them come to you. …
- Go for a walk.
Can a fearful dog be cured?
One of the most important considerations for owners of a fearful dog is to understand that fear is never cured. Any trainer or vet who tells an owner they can cure their dog is either lying or they lack education in the treatment of fear and fear-aggression.
Why does my dog shy away from me?
Coupled with the fact that dogs inherently dislike something reaching down from above toward them, most dogs quickly learn to associate a hand reaching toward their head with discomfort or stress. This leads many dogs to become head shy, and they learn to duck out of the way of a hand reaching toward them.
How do you help a scared dog?
Here are four things you should try:
- Make Sure That You’re Not Encouraging the Fear. If you see your scared dog in distress, your natural reaction may be to comfort him. …
- Swaddle Your Pet. “Products like the ThunderShirt can work well,” says Dr. …
- Expose Your Pet to the Fear in a Controlled Setting. …
- Take Your Pet to the Vet.